echo project infrastructure
In the echo project, you have to update some Terraform configuration files.
In the directory echo/terraform/demo, there are 2 files: echo/terraform/demo/vars_network.tf and echo/terraform/demo/vars_network_echo.tf.
- the DNS domain name
- the AWS regions, availability zones and subnets used by the different network
- the IP addressing plan:
- for the bastion network (for the bastion host)
- for the infrasecrets project network (where Consul and Vault nodes will be deployed)
- for the echo project network
Change the DNS domain name
Updating the DNS domain name is mandatory.
To do so, just open the two files and find all references of terror.ninja and put your own domain name.
Change the AWS regions
This is not mandatory if your Internet connexion is good.
By default, everything will be created on eu-west-3 (France) and eu-west-1 (Irlande).
eu-west-3 is referenced as region1 (this will be the primary datacenter in the Consul cluster).
eu-west-1 is referenced as region2.
The bastion host and the Vault hosts will only be created in region1.
If you want to test with regions that are next to you, find all references of eu-west-3 and eu-west-1 in the two files and put the ones you want.
You have to put two different regions.
Change the IP addressing
This is not mandatory and not recommended.
You should look for the variables named infrastructure_regions and echo_infrastructure_regions.
We talked about the bastion project.
It’s a special case that will be managed by the infrasecrets projet but because it has to connect everywhere, all projects must know it.
And you have to update some Ansible configuration files.
In the echo/inventories/demo/group_vars/all/project.yml file, you have to edit the following variables:
- __project_git_repo: the address of your git repository
- __project_ansible_deployment_playbooks: the addresses and branches of the repositories you want to be installed in the system (so they can be used later, for example in crontab jobs)
3. Next page!
We are done, let’s customize the Consul/Vault infrastructure!